About Me

Hello, My name is Sarah, a student at New Jersey City University double majoring in Psychology and Sociology. Literacy is important especially in today’s society. We are taught to read and write starting from such a young age by our parents, guardians, loved ones, and teachers. Without the knowledge of being able to read or write majority of us would not be able get a job, drive, check emails, use social media, or even order food on the menu. We would not be able to express how we feel or even state our opinions to others. We would not be able to put words together and communicate with others. 
         I have been reading and writing for as long as I can remember. I asked my mom how literacy was practiced when I was younger. She stated, “When you were around one or two years old, I would buy plenty of books and I would read to you.” She explained, how she would read to me every night and when I started to talk she would help me pronounce and put words together. I would always get confused with b's and d's and q's and p's, which is normal at such a young age when you are learning to spell.Obviously school played a huge role in learning and getting educated. Without literacy I would not be able to sit here and type this. I would not be able to even be in school or work at my current job which is in an after school program helping children with their homework that also includes activities. 
          When I was in elementary school writing was not my best subject. I would get frustrated when my elementary English teacher gave out reading prompts, journals, and quotes. In 7thand 8thgrade we had to write in our journals everyday even during the summer and it counted as a grade when we would return to school. She was hard on us and the beginning was irritating, as time went on I enjoyed it. English and writing became my favorite subject and because of my elementary school English teacher I write in my journal as a way to express my emotions till this day. I enjoy reading the books I pick out in my free time and writing became easier for me especially when it came to writing a bunch of papers in high school and college. My elementary school English teacher have educated us plenty when it came to writing and I appreciate everything she has taught us. My writing is not perfect, but of course as time goes on it will only get better. 
       Literacy plays a huge role in todays society and I feel that everyone deserves an education no matter color, race, religion, language, gender, etc. We are all going to continue using literacy in our personal life. Whether it is applying to a new job or internship, writing in our planner, continuing an education , etc., it is important that we continue to learn and practice to be able to educate our future children. Milala, a Pakistan activist for female education, has been through a lot  and believed we are all equal and deserve an education for all of us to bring change into this world.

Comments

  1. Sarah,
    I appreciated that you asked your Mom to share what she remembered about your literacy development, and the stories she told you about when you were just a baby when she would read to you. It’s also good to read about your elementary school teacher who helped you develop a love and appreciation for writing as well as reading. Your work with children in the afterschool program sounds important and rewarding.
    Professor Knauer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Unequivocally, literacy cannot be taught within hours, as it take time, energy, and devotion. Fortunately for you, your mom and English teacher made a positive impact and encouraged you to keep striving. The end results of that motivation tailored your career path and because of this advantage you are now able to support others and make a difference.

    Thanks,
    Yailin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Schools and Common Schools

Schools during the 1900's-1950's